Getting sick as a mom is rough. Being a stay at home mom, I do not get any sick days. I can’t call my boss and tell them I’m not coming in to work today. I can’t ship my kids off to day care, so I can rest. Instead, I have few choices but try to still function and do my mommy duties on top of not feeling well. There is a reason why M-O-M, when flipped upside down is W-O-W! We are extraordinary and one of a kind. However, that doesn’t mean that we still don’t need and deserve a little rest and TLC when we are not feeling up to par. So, when you are not feeling well, I am wondering what you do in your day to take care of yourself, while you are still doing everything else too? I hope you share with me your secrets.
I am currently running on little sleep. I can’t breathe through my nose. My ears are pluggled, my eyes are watering. My throat is sore. My head feels like it’s being squeezed like a lemon. I was up multiple times with my little during the night, up at 5 am on the dot, showered, got my oldest ready for school and on the school bus, and although I have nowhere important to be today, I do have a 1 year old (a very busy 1 year old I may add) to keep entertained & happy. *Deep Sigh* Here we go.
Since I asked you what your secrets are in taking care of yourself while you are sick and still taking care of your kids, I thought I’d share with you some things that I’ve been doing in case you are wondering. Lets compare notes.
- When my child is content, I let them be content. I don’t look at them. I don’t talk to them because if I do they will start to cry and quickly decide they need me. Basically, I ignore them for a bit in fear I will disrupt that contentment. While they are content, I rest on the couch. Sometimes this lasts only 5 minutes. Sometimes, it’s 20 minutes. A mama takes what she can get.
- Although the mess of toys drives me crazy. I do not waste any energy on picking a single thing up all day. I let the mess take over until it actually bothers my husband enough that he decides to pick up the toys when he gets home from work.
- I drink warm beverages to soothe my achy throat. The last few days I’ve been loving hot water with lemon and honey. I treat myself to warm beverages after my daughter is down for a nap because they help my entire body relax enough to close my eyes while she is napping. Otherwise, it’s hard for me to nap.
- I don’t feel guilty about giving my child tv time when I am sick. On a normal day, yes. On a sick day, no. Anything to keep them quiet, especially with this headache!
- When my child wants to snuggle I say yes always! This allows me to sit down without feeling so guilty.
- Cancel all play groups or neglect doing anything outside the house. As a SAHM, I am constantly doing this, running there, going to this play group, going to the library, etc. When I’m sick I make staying home a priority because running everywhere just runs me down more.