September 4th is the official start date of the 2018-2019 school year. My oldest daughter will be in 1st grade. Call me crazy, but this morning I just peeked at the school supply list and also some of the daunting paper work forms that needed to be filled out for her. I could easily complain about three things this morning.
- It’s not fair that summer months go by so quickly.
- School supplies alone are going to cost me a small fortune.
- Most of this paperwork was filled out last year. It’s so annoying that we can just look over last years and make corrections needed instead of having to start all over. Do these people even know the time it takes to fill this out?
However, I am thankful this morning for Thessalonians 5:16-18. This is kind of like the person sitting on the good side of my shoulder shouting at me to Be J O Y F U L always, P R A Y continually and G I V E T H A N K S in all circumstances for this is G O D ‘ S W I L L for me.
Instead of the gripes this morning, which can easily set the tone for a negative day, I am so grateful I have the ability to choose to be positive about the things I could complain about. It’s not an easy thing to do because for me the pessimist in me is constantly trying to take out the opptimist in me. If this is you too, then you know that it takes practice to set the tone for a positive day sometimes.
So, here is how I’m turning those 3 complaints into positives…
- I can not begin to tell you the amount of joy I have had in having my daughter home with us for the summer months. It has been so wonderful having her around and seeing how my two girls play together and can make each other smile, giggle and form an everlasting sisterhood together. We’ve made some great memories by going to the park, playing in our play groups, camping, going to the splash pad and beach among all those smaller joy filled moments such as trips to The Twist for ice cream, family bike rides, small talks, and just being together.
- Lord, although it seems like school supplies cost a small fortune, I am beyond grateful that we are able to provide the needed supplies for our daughter so she has all the tools needed for a successful school year where she can thrive, grow and continue to spread her wings. Not only this, but I know that the supplies we provide do not cover all that the students need and a lot of supplies will be provided by her teacher and she will not get reembursed for them. For teachers who get paid so little already, bless their hearts for being so selfless and wanting to see their students be the best pupils they can be in and out of the classrooms. Thank you for the pure fact that we live in a country where we have an abundance of tools for teaching and a community that has the resources to make our schools great. I know there are many places in our world who are living in poverty and the very things we are complaining about, they are praying for. Help my heart to be continually greatful and help wash away these complaints that can so easily creep in and set the tone for a negative day. In your name I pray, A M E N!
- I am grateful for a school that is so organized and on top of paperwork that is very important in keeping our students safe and also ensure the rights of all students are being protected. I appreciate this. I realize it takes time to fill this paperwork out, and I may not enjoy spending my time like this but it is worth it if keeps my daughter safe and so the school year runs smoother for each student and teacher and the rest of the staff.
What are you thankful for today?